Sunday, October 31, 2010

Windows Snipping tool-Another way to copy

With my new computer I'm trying to find ways to use the programs that come with Windows 7. Last night I used something I hadn't even thought about. I wanted to copy a song list off itunes music store, but couldn't figure out how. So I went to my Windows 7 book, which mention the Windows Snipping Tool.

This is a little program that allows you to copy a page or part of a page, & then do one of a number of things. You can e-mail it, or paste it in another program. Or in my case, I sent the page to documents, after which I was able to print the page.

This worked great, because when i tried to print directly from itunes, it was way too large & cut off part of the page. How it works is you use your cursor to draw a line around what content you want to copy. then you print it. Actually that didn't work so well. But there are multiple options. The rectangular snip didn't work for me, but the window snip was perfect. It captured the full page at the right size, was readable, & I will probably use it again. I would be interested in how an e-mail would work, or how i would use this tool to paste it into, say a Word document.

For all the talk about Mac, I think this is a nice little helper, & I am already thinking of something else I could use it for. There are other programs I should use, but maybe I don't know about them yet. It's just nice to know there is something that helps we non-geeks in using our computers to a greater degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment