Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Internet Explorer use below 50%

According to StatCounter, IE's market share fell in September to 49.87%, almost a 10% drop from last year. This despite the fact that most businesses insist on using it. My company not only uses IE, they use IE6, which now has only 5% share. But then again, my company uses a combination of XP & Windows 2000!

Unfortunately, if you have a Windows machine, you will have IE on it because it is built in. I actually have IE8 & when IE9 comes out I will update, because it will be more secure, & you need it for Windows Update. But I do use Firefox 99% of the time. And it's share has finally gone up to 31.5%, with Google Chrome up to 11.54%.

Chrome's figures are remarkable. It's only been out what? Two years, maybe? I'm guessing it will eventually compete with Firefox for 2nd place, although I am not that big a fan of it. Yeah, it's faster, but not as configurable as Firefox, & I'm not sure it works as well, or shows sites as well, which is also Opera's main problem. That's why that browser, which created most of the stuff that Firefox has as add-ons, has a tiny share (2%).

Yet there are still websites written for IE, that cause me to use it because the site doesn't load properly in FF. Hopefully that will change. FF4 will be coming soon, with a Chrome like UI, & apparently a lot faster. Then the real browser war will begin when IE9 releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment