Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Digital confusion

I was in a big box store today looking at, well, a number of things. I originally went there to look at cd's (you remember those don't you?), but they have cut their selection in half. So I started looking at stereos with ipod docks. What I do is plug mine into my sound system. But it's a hassle, because I have to take out the ear buds & plug in the cable for the speakers. I don't like having to do this. This is because my stereo is old enough that it doesn't have a dock. But spending $150 is not something I want to do just now.

So the person is telling me , yeah you can do this, but don't keep the ipod in or it will continually charge, eventually wearing out the battery. Which is not only a bad idea, but Apple makes it worse by not letting you change the battery yourself. (Why do they insist on locking the case? Every other battery using device lets you replace the battery. Sigh).

Then I start looking at digital cameras. This is because the holidays are coming up, & all though my family takes lots of photos, I never get any. I am not going to bring my 20 year old Nikon SLR to a family gathering. Yes, it's a nice camera, but it's also a pain to carry around.

But digital cameras are a problem. So many choices & varieties. 10 mp, 12 mp. Some use AA batteries, some use rechargeable batteries. Some have 3X zoom, some 4X. Some have HD capability, some don't. And they don't come with any memory, so you have to buy a memory card for them, & of course, you have to find out just what kind fits in that particular camera. Why is this necessary? It's like printers not coming with the cable needed to connect to the computer. Just common sense.

The digital world is great, but some of the devices are a problem because different manufacturers are responsible for different things that make the device work. I guess people are getting used to this, but they shouldn't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment