Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The problem with streaming video

M2MHRZEY92JF
The new way to watch video is supposed to be online. Not DVD rentals. While it sounds good, it really doesn't work that well depending on your hardware & the streaming service you use.

I use Netflix. While streaming seems to be the way the site does it in Canada, in the USA the amount of movies is very limited. I'm not really interested in 10 year old movies I barely remember, or straight to video productions. This seems to be what they offer to us. Or you watch 30 year old or more films. Some which are classics (Bonnie & Clyde, Lawrence of Arabia), but still. Those will show up on TCM or somewhere else.

And yet this is supposed to be the wave of the future. Again: What if you don't have good enough hardware? Am I supposed to spend extra money on a Roku box just to watch movies? Ain't gonna happen. I have watched some on my computer. Fine. But why watch on a small monitor instead of a full size tv?

In some cases technology seems to be going backwards while appearing to go forward. I just want to watch something. I shouldn't have to go through hoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment