Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sony Walkman discontinued on ipod's birthday

I was shocked, shocked I tell you to read that Sony is killing off the Walkman! They still make it? And they're doing it on the 9th anniversary of the ipod's birth. How ironic. And get this. I just went in my bedroom & I still have it. It's sitting on a shelf on a tv cart, & hasn't been turned on in years. I just pushed some dust aside, found the on switch, clicked it & the radio still works!! How long have the batteries been in that thing?

So say what you will about not progressing. I mean it's a cassette player with a radio in a mp3 world. But after years it still works. That's amazing. Of course it was going to go under eventually. How many cassettes would get eaten up, plus the pain of rewinding just so you could take the tape out, flip it over to listen to the other side. Not to mention how do you find a specific song.

So yeah, it's surprising that it lasted this long. But then again, I still have a VCR. Yes I have a DVD player, but not a DVR. At least not yet. The Walkman changed the way people listened to music, but it was never perfect. You could only listen to one tape (an album's worth) at a time. My ipod is an 8GB nano, & I have probably 10 full cd's on it. And some time in the future it will be replaced by something that hasn't been created yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment