Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Will high tech ever come to household chores?

Today I did two things that everyone has to do sometimes. I vacuumed my house & did the laundry. And while I sit here at my computer I have a thought. It's 2010. Why am I still cleaning the carpets & my clothes the same way my mother & grandmother did? Yes, I could splurge & buy a Roomba & maybe a super speed washer/dryer, but the technology is basically the same.

Yeah, the Roomba is a fun idea. Program it, & get out of the way. Let it run around the house picking up dirt. Of course, I don't know how good this thing actually is. Do I have to use a regular vacuum to pick up what it didn't? How about the washer/dryer. Why hasn't that been redesigned. Like something that can wash with little water (maybe steam or a non-water based detergent product), & then a fast drying application. Why the same system as 50 years ago?

Cooking has changed (microwaves anyone?), cars (hybrids, electrics), mail (e-mail), but these two everyday or , at least once a week, haven't & I wonder if they ever will. Where is the genius who will really change our lives for the better?

No comments:

Post a Comment