Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Where are computers going?

I ask this because nobody talks about computers anymore. At least not in the traditional sense. Reading tech blogs & listening to podcasts like This Week in Tech & Tech News Today. It's all about smartphones & tv devices like the Roku & Boxee & Apple TV & the upcoming Google TV, which BTW, has no deals with any network. Yeah, I'll rush out to get that.

I feel like I'm behind the times because my high tech buy this year was a new desktop. Apparently I'm the only one who has bought one. Can't understand why every computer maker hasn't gone out of business. But, of course, this is just how the tech media treats it. They only want to talk about these small portable devices.

Yes a lot of people bought ipads, & every other company is going to bring out their version before Christmas. But if you actually want to use it for work, you need a computer, not a tablet. Not an iphone or Android device. Too small. Try writing & reading something that small for several hours. Ain't gonna happen.

Heck, I want a DVR, but because of the economy, & more to the point, my personal economy, it's not gonna happen. So I watch my shows on a 25" tube tv, & watch Letterman online a week after the fact (Dear CBS-Why?). A digital camera? Maybe. The little prepaid cell phone I have has a camera, but it doesn't have a zoom, so picture taking is limited. And my Nikon SLR that I haven't used in years is just too big to carry around. Funny how digitals look like the old snap photo cameras of decades ago. New tech that looks like tech from 50 years ago. Isn't that funny?

My ipod? Haven't downloaded any music in quite a while. Just putting my own cd's on it. Pay for the junk produced now? No thanks.

Facebook? I went on there to promote this blog. Yeah, a few people are reading it, but I'm not gonna brag about one guy in South Africa or whoever in Canada read it last week. So I just keep looking at what's going on, & doing what I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment