Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Are $200 headphones that much better than $30 ones?

When I got my ipod it came with the standard cheap Apple earbuds. the sound wasn't that great (although I'm no audiophile), plus I have one ear with a bigger opening than the other meaning flat earbuds like Apple's don't like to stay in.

So I spent months looking online for better buds. I looked at a lot of sites at a lot of reviews of a lot of earbuds. On ear, in ear, headphones (sorry, but those just look dumb). I checked out all the different brands & all different price points from $10 to $100. I really didn't want to spend more than $50, but I looked.

I wanted ones with legitimate bass, & realistic sound. I ended up getting some $30 Sony in-ear buds. I've had them for several months, & was using them this afternoon to listen to some classical music. These are nice. Are they as good as really expensive ones? I have no idea. but then again, I said I wasn't an audiophile. Heck, I have a $50 home theater from Walmart, so what do I know?

The point is, you can charge anything & claim your product is superior because of this or that. Most people can't tell the difference, because it's not their job to look for tiny little flaws. I can't go into Target or Best Buy & tell the difference between the $800 & $2000 big screen either. But because of the money involved, I will study & investigate through Cnet, Consumer Reports, & any other media that reviews products.  It was months of looking before I bought my new computer.

The biggest problem imho is there is just too many choices, even within the same brand. I don't like having to spend months just deciding what earphones, speakers, or tv to buy. but that's the reality so I deal with it. As does everybody else. But how much money is wasted by companies making so many different models that all do the same thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment