Saturday, October 16, 2010

Music & the Internet

I have lately been thinking about putting some classical music on my ipod. I want to have a alrge selection of different types of music. Yes, i am a rock fan first, but unlike the youth of today, I have no problem listening to other types of music. There are actually classical pieces I like.

The problem is finding stuff online. Yes, i could just go to itunes. But here's the problem. Huge number of albums, with an excessive playlist. Do I really need a download with 50 or 100 different pieces, most which I have never heard of? Remember, we are talking about probably 3-4 hours worth of music. Yes, the price of some of these collections is small ($7 in the case of "50 greatest classical", or whatever it's called).

So I go online. There are many websites devoted to classical downloads. But the selection is limited & you get the same problem as with itunes. Another way is to go to YouTube, & listen to some pieces. Then you get to decide what you like. Then you can go to itunes & buy the pieces. Of course, this costs more than buying one of the albums for sale there. but again, do I need 4 hours of music, maybe by lesser performers. I want the music being performed by the best artists, because they interpret the classical music the best.

I guess I can go to a used cd store (there are 2 big ones 20 minutes from my home), & see what they have, but the internet should do a better job.

No comments:

Post a Comment