Monday, October 11, 2010

New anti-virus initiative

A british firm wants to start a new way to fight computer viruses. The head of the company used to work for McAfee. The problem is, of course, that anti-virus software reacts after finding a virus on your machine, rather than stopping all from attaching to begin with. The reason is that new viruses & malware are created every day (60,000 a day according to a BBC article).

The idea is to install a program that logs when something is put on your computer, & tell you when the virus was fixed. I'm confused. Isn't this what they do anyway? Well, other than the fact that you have to run the program yourself. I guess because anti-virus software will go after a known virus, rather than finding a new one , & creating a fix for it. I guess that's an improvement, but it still isn't as fast as I would like.

What I actually think should happen is what I said earlier: block viruses from ever getting on the machine. I used to have a spyware blocker on my old computer, but never put it on my new machine, because it only blocked spyware on IE. I use Firefox, so what's the point? Now I use Malwarebytes & have no issues. But again, what will it take to create something like that for viruses, & shouldn't it be built in on every computer?

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years because this problem is getting bigger, & the bad guys are not getting caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment