Monday, November 1, 2010

South Korea to have 1Gb broadband

The average right now in South Korea is 12Mbps. My connection speed is 1.5 which is the main speed my provider sells. A 100Mbps subscription costs $19 a month in South Korea, which includes internet tv. I pay $40 a month for my slow speed. But hey, that's the market in the USA. And the Republicans want to kill net neutrality because it doesn't enrich them.

I am not surprised that we are behind the rest of the world in something. But the internet? Now I don't need massively fast speeds, because I rarely download anything. But it probably affects the way my computer works. This is a new computer with a processor 50% faster than my previous, & I can't tell that it's much faster. Except that video is smooth rather than choppy, & it doesn't freeze up like the old computer did. But websites don't appear to be any faster.

The only time I have super fast speed is when I run Ubuntu off a USB stick. Because of course, I'm using flash memory, not the hard drive, which has to spin & whirr, while running all the programs Windows has. Thus, the processor speed isn't that important. So I don't think my processor is that important for that, & I don't think 1Gbps would improve on that. And frankly the ISP's in this country wouldn't be charging $19/month like South Korea, try $100 minimum. If that fact doesn't change we will remain behind the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment