Thursday, November 25, 2010

Tech fail-Where's instant heat for home?

With all the advances in technology over the recent past, one thing hasn't been done. A way to heat up the house in a short time. Now you living in the snow are welcome to curse me, but it took me an hour to get my house from 58° to 66°. That would be a major problem in a colder part of the country than Northern California. Still it's uncomfortable. I wonder about the possibility of instant on heat. Maybe it's a power issue. How much energy would be needed to heat up that fast?

This probably could be accomplished with microwaves. After all, cooking a meal in a Microwave oven takes much less time than a traditional one. Check the cooking times listed. A frozen fried chicken dinner takes 3-5 minutes in the microwave, but 45 minutes at 350° in a regular one.

The question would of course be, is it safe. This has always been a question with microwaves. But running my furnace for over an hour just so I don't freeze in my home doesn't seem like the best plan, plus causing my energy bill to skyrocket, especially at a time of year that has so many other bills (Christmas presents, entertaining, property tax).

I will be spending Thanksgiving in a house where the fireplace has a gas insert. Theses are expensive, but since I've been visiting my family at this house for over 30 years, I can tell you that the house is at least 10° warmer than when they were burning wood. So the technology should be out there to warm up homes faster & warmer than I am able to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment