Sunday, November 28, 2010

Using technology to keep warm

Even though I live in California, it still gets cold in the winter. No, not as cold as in the midwest or the northeast or in northern Europe, but still you're not going to walk around in shorts. So how do you stay warm? I like layered clothing.

The base or inner layer takes away sweat to the other layers. I have always used thin polyester based long sleeved products that are actually designed for outdoor activity. But I don't ski. I use the shirt as simply a device to keep me warm. I have a short sleeved undershirt, followed by the long sleeved base layer. I follow this with a fleece sweatshirt. According to Wikipedia, the traditional mid layer is wool, with fleece as an alternative.

Fleece is made from synthetic fibers. It's soft & mimics wool, but it doesn't weigh as much, & it's cheaper. And frankly, it's easier to find fleece shirts. One problem with fleece is if you have a garment a long time, the more it gets washed, the fleece basically disappears.

I usually follow this with a sweater, but not always, depends on the temperature. What is important is how you use the layers. Different companies have created different systems, like underarm vents. None of my clothes have that, mainly because those tend to cost too much for how i am going to use them. If I was doing activities like skiing or hiking then maybe.

More and more companies are bringing out multi-layered clothing because of the winter activity market. Skiing is very big out west despite the high cost, thus all kinds of companies are testing ways to create comfortable cold weather clothing. but as I have said, it also helps us stay at homes who simply want to keep warm without having to blow our home energy bills through the roof.


No comments:

Post a Comment