Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Tech around the house

I don't have a Plasma or LCD tv. And I have no interest in a 3D tv (not much being made). I don't have a digital camera either, although I would like one. But this is what i do have, & why.

I have a computer obviously. With cheap $10 speakers that don't always work. This means, thanks to the internet, I can watch David Letterman & Craig Ferguson at a reasonable time. It means I can watch college football games on Mondays, since I work on Saturdays. And catch some shows that were on at the same time as something else that I was watching. And I can inform myself by reading websites like Huffington Post, Lifehacker & others.

I have an ipod nano. Yeah, I only have 300+ songs on it. But it's still easier than loading & unloading my cd player, just to listen to songs by multiple artists on several different cd's. I also listen to podcasts, either on my ipod or directly from the website.

I have a microwave. Since I get home from work so late, this is a godsend. TV dinners are obvious. But on my days off, I will cook a meal, & place it in plastic containers so when I get home I can just heat up the meal. I have two different soups in the fridge right now. I'm good till Friday with those. After i get off the computer I'm going to make some chicken, then place it it in the fridge, again for this week (I don't go back to work until tomorrow).

Hooked up to my tv (a 25", yeah I know) is a cheap home theater-$50 at Walmart several years ago. This gives me stereo sound for regular tv, & also sound for my stereo. I also can hook my ipod to it. I would like a DVD player that can play DVD-R discs. Right now I don't burn DVD's on my computer because nothing can play them. Boo, hiss. I would love to burn games off of ESPN 3 or itunes downloads of the podcast I listen to every week (it would be cool to see TWIT on my tv, & CFB on my 18" monitor is ok, but just barely).

I have an answering machine that I use to monitor calls. Most calls I get are sales pitches, or the last month annoying election pitches. Great way to avoid nonsense. I use to answer all my calls, but have you ever tried to get a telemarketer off the phone? They don't understand the words "I"m not interested".

As you can see, I'm not a geek. Not that much stuff, & not planning to. No smartphone. What would I use it for? Would I like a big tv? Yup. But it ain't gonna happen. Just like winning the lottery won't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment