Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Netflix to start streaming only service

Netflix wants to move to a streaming only system because of the cost of sending out DVD's. This would be fine if the selection was the same. I just spent a half an hour trying to find something to watch on my computer. The problem was 90% of the videos were unavailable.

So I'm supposed to spend over $100 for a Roku or Wii so I can stream from my computer to my TV, but the selection is only 10% of Netflix's DVD list. Uh not quite. Sorry, try again. Why would I do that. Most of the films available are either old, made for TV or 2nd rate re-makes. Yes there are some classics, but those are usually on TCM.

There is a claim that Netflix is making deals with the studios to get more on streaming video, but since I was on their site today I can tell you that is just not the case. The studios are fighting this tooth & nail. That's fine for now. I would much rather watch a movie on my TV anyway. And I don't see why I should put out an additional $100-200 for another device to transfer movies from my computer to my TV anyway.

Yes it costs them to ship out DVD's through the mail, especially since they pay for the shipping. But they are making a ton of money. Blockbuster declared bankruptcy because they couldn't compete with the convenience of DVD's coming in the mail. Not everyone has a computer that meets the requirements. For instance, I don't have the requirements to watch in HD. Most people don't. I suspect this won't change for a long time, & while high income people may be able to avail themselves of this deal, the rest of us will just have to wait...for our DVD's to come in the mail that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment