Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Internet coupons

While it sounds nice being able to print coupons from your computer, there is a downside. Most businesses that do this want an e-mail address. Why/ So they can fill up your inbox with spam. I have one e-mail address that is full of this stuff, & it isn't even because of coupons. I went to some store, gave them my e address & low & behold, lots of offers I have no interest in.

This happens because businesses feel that for every 10 customers who feel like me, there will be one who will do it. That adds up. But then again, there is one mail order fruit company (you know who I mean) that sends me a catalog at least once a week from October thru Christmas, because i have ordered fruit through the mail for several years.

I wanted to print a coupon from a sandwich chain. They wanted an e-mail address. Well, I do like this chain, but sometimes I get coupons in the mail as a promotion, & even when I go there even. So why bottle up my e-mail more?

The other issue is, of course, the possibility of malware. I want my computer to stay clean. I only download from reputable sites, but other people may not know not to click links that they think are from a company they may know. This is why I don't shop online. The term "identity theft" didn't exist before the creation of the World Wide Web. There's a reason for that. So beware.


No comments:

Post a Comment