Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Google Chrome jumps over 9%

The hot new browser from Google continues to grow, while the one most people think is the internet continues to fall. I guess this is good news, although I still don't understand why anyone would prefer Chrome over Firefox. Supposedly it's faster, but that has never been my experience.

It's clear to me that casual users will continue to use Internet Explorer, & if they want another browser, well...everyone's heard of Google. It also appears that Firefox will remain stuck at around 22-23% as it has for the last year at least. FF 4 comes out in a few months with increased performance, but is it too late? Interestingly, IE8 has over 3X the usage of IE7 while the much hated IE6 has almost the market share of Chrome & Safari combined. This because businesses still use it despite Microsoft themselves saying get rid of it. Heck my high tech company uses IE6.

It seems that IE users are switching to Chrome rather than Firefox, which would have been the case in the past. I don't like the idea of every tab being a different process because that uses more RAM. Plus I just don't care for the bare bones nature of the UI. But unfortunately, FF 4 will look somewhat like Chrome. Plus it isn't as bare bones as it would appear. On my old XP machine Firefox 3.6 was around 30mb, but Chrome was 75mb. Huh?

I think it's the new kid in town, & that's why it's gaining. Let's see if that continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment