Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What's Firefox? says website

I cannot stand websites that are so out of date that they still don't know what a browser is.  I have another blog on a well known sports site. Or rather on a subsite devoted to personal blogs. It allows you to post your blog on Facebook. Well, actually only if you use Internet Explorer. I found this out today.

I wrote a post about Michael Vick, posted it to the site, & clicked the link that would post it to my Facebook page. Wouldn't do it. Something about the fonts & other stuff. Don't quite remember. This is not the first time I have tried. So I tried copy & paste. No can do. So finally it occurred to me to switch to IE. Yup. Posted with no problem.

I have a problem with this. IE has been losing market share for at least 2 years. It has gone from 90% to under 50%. That is a big drop. At the same time Firefox has gone from 15% to 24-25%. The rest have gone to Chrome, which has gone from not existing to around 12%. Not to mention that Apple's share of the computer market has gone up, meaning Safari's share has gone up.

So why do web developers not understand this? Because businesses mostly use IE, & sadly use IE6. So they don't understand that the regular person, plus the geeks, & those like me, who want a better experience, won't use the bug riddled, security hole that is Internet Explorer. I have also found video sites that do the same thing. We lose in the long run because the business community is stuck in 1995, & is afraid to move forward.

A lot of people simply think the blue E is the internet. I often wonder what they do when forced to use a non-Microsoft machine. Do they think a mac doesn't have internet access? We are falling behind the rest of the world. There are many countries where Firefox is the #1 browser. Do companies not realize this?


I

No comments:

Post a Comment