Monday, December 20, 2010

Reading e-books online

Yes, Google launched it's e-bookstore some time ago. Yesterday I found out about Project Gutenberg. What is that? It is a site devoted to public domain books. These can be downloaded to your computer or put on an e-reader like a Kindle.

But what kind of books? How about classic fiction like Dickens, Shakespeare, Tolstoy & DeFoe. Not exactly what a current reader wants to put on a digital device. Yes it's free, but so what? This is always going to be the problem with something like this. Do  I really want to waste space on my computer for Robinson Crusoe or Huckleberry Finn? Or would I like the chance to get newer material?

And, not being a geek, I want to know, can I even use a Kindle? See, my computer is a desktop, not a laptop. Therefore I don't have wireless in my house. A Kindle, or an iPad use WiFi on the cheaper models, & WiFi & 3G on the more expensive versions. But this is never explained in all the stories I see on these devices.

If this is the case, if I had one of these, I could only use them at the public library or the local mall, which has complete WiFi access. In other words it's totally useless to me or someone else who doesn't have a laptop at home. Yes, I can read an e-book online, but then you have the issue of LCD lighting. This is not the way to read a book. It's too tiring on the eyes.

I wish these companies would come clean on this. Borders is 5 minutes from my house, Barnes & Noble 10 minutes. Both are selling various e-readers, none of which are cheap. $150-$300 mostly, & probably not usable by me, unless I don't understand the technology, which I readily admit. But hey, I'm not the main target audience anyway. I'm too old.

No comments:

Post a Comment