Monday, December 27, 2010

Facebook may cause break-ins say UK police

According to the BBC, a woman claims her house was broken into twice because of Facebook status updates that said they would be out of town. I have a problem with this. Are you dumb enough to put your home address on a social site? Then it's your fault.

I have no info on my page, other than my hometown (how else are people going to know who I am?). Not my address, not my phone number, not the name of the company I work for. That's my business. But then again, the people I'm "friends" with already know all this.

Facebook, of course, says that the risk is the same as sharing info in person or in an e-mail. Well, that's not quite true. In person you're sharing with one person. Sure, he can tell others, but I assume you only tell someone you know, not random strangers. But again, why have all this info online? I'm sure people go on Facebook & discuss an upcoming trip. But if your home address is not on the site, how is someone going to rob you? Think people.

Heck, some co-workers know what complex I live in, but not my specific unit. Some people just don't understand security.

No comments:

Post a Comment