Monday, December 6, 2010

Making computer screens eye friendly

I use my computer a lot when I'm home. And a lot of people use computers as part of their work. Some are on them all day. So why is so hard to come up with a screen that doesn't hurt the eyes? I've been on my computer less than an hour & I feel like getting off.

This was the argument against the iPad. That an LED screen hurts the eyes, but an e-ink screen doesn't, which is why e readers are so popular. The problem there is of course those tend to be black & white, not full color, like computer monitors, laptops & iPads. Still the iPad is a massive success, so someone doesn't have a problem. And I'm sure different people may have eyes not as sensitive as mine.

So is there a need to improve the way visuals are done? Of course there is. Everything can be improved upon. I can't see watching video on a smartphone (too small), but lots of young people do it. Of course their eyes are stronger. Although my eyes have always been somewhat weak. I've worn glasses since junior high. Some kids need them before they're 10.

But I can read a book for long stretches. I've read as many as 100 pages in a day. Try doing that online. Your eyes can't handle it. Again it's the lighting. I don't know about Kindle's or Nooks because I don't own one, & I'm not planning on getting one. I just think with all the technology out there, there must be a way to make computer monitors more eye friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment