Saturday, April 30, 2011

Hackers Put Malware On Football Site

Thursday night I got home from work & went on a fansite for my team. Problem was: I couldn't get on it. OK, so the NFL draft is on, maybe the servers are overloaded. Problem with that is I go on this site every Sunday during football season, & never have a problem getting on the site.

This isn't the official site. It's a fan based site where I was hoping to see what the fan reaction would be to the teams first draft pick, which i thought was an odd pick. But first, I couldn't get on the site at all. Then I got on it, but the forum threads seemed surprisingly small. Then when I clicked on any topic the browser would time out.

Then it happened. My antivirus popped up a malware warning. What to do. "Remove it". Heck yes I clicked that. Then 10 minutes later that popup came back, clicked "remove it" again. So I closed my browser, launched Malwarebytes & did a complete scan. After 40 minutes it found nothing. Now the really weird thing is the malware was listed as HP.exe. Since when does a computer manufacturer have an executable file on it's hardware?

A couple of years ago I had another malware attack. but that time the same anti-virus program didn't find it. I knew about that one because one of those phony av popups showed up. I knew it was phony because it had a different name than my av software.

So I wonder. Was this a false positive? A re-direct to a phony site? I say that because as I said this site has dozens of topics on a normal day & this was draft day, so there should have been a lot more threads especially on the player my team drafted at #7. Instead there was very little & none of the discussions would come up. And if it was a fake site, what was the point? You don't need to register to read the posts. Thus no e-mail addresses to steal.

This is why I am wary of registering with lots of sites. As of tomorrow I will no longer be on Facebook. I found a way (thanks Google) to actually delete my account, not just de-activate it. Mark Zuckerberg doesn't need all my info.

No comments:

Post a Comment