Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Epsilon Hack Is Why I Don't Bank Online

March 30 a marketing firm called Epsilon had a major security breach. It's been all over the news. Names & e-mail addresses of thousands hacked. The clients include several banks. Meaning that the hackers can send you an e-mail using your name while pretending to be your bank.  It's called "spear phishing". A new way of trying to get hold of your info.

This is why I refuse to use online banking. I don't even like to shop online. It's just not safe. Yeah I buy music from iTunes, but guess what? I only log in to buy. 99.99% of the time I'm not logged in. I can look for music, put CD's I own into iTunes without signing in. And there is no credit card info. I leave that blank. When I'm ready to buy then I put the info in & immediately remove it. Online banking? Not gonna happen. Put my bank account # on the internet. Are you crazy?

I love how Epsilon says "no personal identifiable information associated with those names was at risk". Yeah until someone uses you name to contact you claiming to be your bank & needs to double check your account number or credit card number. If you are someone not aware of the hack you might reveal the info & ...bye bye savings account. It's not only banks but Verizon, Walgreens, Best Buy, etc. In other words retailers that you might buy something online & thus have an account with that you wouldn't think was at risk. Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment