Monday, April 25, 2011

HBO's Firefox Failure

Drama series on HBO can be confusing at first. What is great about the network is how rich the shows are. No easy stuff there. Game of thrones just had it's second episode. I never read the books, so I rely on what I see on Sunday nights.

Like most HBO shows it has a large cast with interconnecting stories & sometimes it is hard to keep track of who everybody is. What is their relationship to other cast members. Or even who exactly they are. Especially in a show like this with 3 different families fighting over the royal throne.

So because of this, I want to know who the cast members are. Well, HBO does have a cast page with photos of the actors & their names. So I want to print that page so I can figure out who everybody is. It's not like I'm going to be on the website during the show. Yeah there's a lot of info on there. HBO does a great job except for one thing.

When I tried to print the cast pictures, no luck. Print preview showed a black page. no photos, no nothing. I was like "what the hey?!". Then I thought "what if the website creator is a loon who wrote it only for IE?", which would be stupid. Are we still doing that nonsense? I mean IE has gone from 90% share to under 60% in 2 years. Firefox has between 22 & 25%, Chrome around 10% & Safari 5-6%.

So I closed Firefox 4 & opened IE8, went on the website & low & behold! I could print the page. Note to Time Warner & HBO: Get your act together. If your webpage designer doesn't want to code your page for more than one browser-get rid of him! It's just lazy. IE doesn't meet international browser standards, especially not version's prior to IE9 which just came out. FF, Chrome & Opera always have, not sure about Safari (never sure what Steve jobs thinks about them).

Yeah I was finally able to do it & printing actors photos for some show isn't that big a deal, but it's the over all lack of support for a major browser that is just silly. This should not still be happening. I used to have the same issue with PG&E & Verizon, but that has gone away, meaning they figured it out. for a major media company not to is a bad sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment