Saturday, April 16, 2011

Deleting Facebook

Yes I wrote a post last week asking does anyone use Facebook. Today I made the decision to delete my account. Not deactivate it, delete it. this is difficult because Zuckerberg doesn't want you to know you can, so it's hidden. But there are ways of doing it.

First you should search on Google for "delete facebook account". The first few listing are on Facebook itself. I ignore those. I found one on something called WikiHow. It has a link to the actual delete screen. Outstanding. What's humorous is the warning if you log on within 14 days the request for deletion is voided. Duh. I haven't logged on in 2 months, I think i can stay away for 2 weeks.

So this is a good thing. The thing is useless. No one I know uses it. This publicity nonsense of 600 million users is just that. Yeah there might be 600 million registered users, but how many regularly use it? Maybe 100 million go on once a week or even every day? So I don't think the hype is that justified. Mostly college age people when e-mail would work just as well & wouldn't involve giving all your personal info to a 26 year old billionaire.

Anyway, I got an e-mail from Facebook telling me what I already knew "don't log on for 2 weeks". Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment