Sunday, May 1, 2011

Browser Usage Extension Returns

I was happy to see this afternoon that one of my favorite Firefox extensions has been updated for Fx4. This would be Statusbar Ex. this is an add-on that displays on the status bar the memory usage for the browser. Without it I was forced to open the task manager.

Now the task manager shows more, but with this you have it all the time right in front of you. There have been changes to it. Now it shows network speed. OK. what exactly is that? It's currently showing .20Kb. Huh? What does that mean? Is that good or bad? I know I get around 1.3mbps That's clearly not what it means.

On the other hand it is showing that Firefox is using 153MB right now. That's not much considering I have 4GB of RAM. It is also showing that what is free is 2.9GB. Obviously other programs are using the remaining, like my antivirus, explorer, maybe office. Plus I don't have access to about 300MB that is being used for "hardware reserve". Not sure what that is. And CPU usage is 1%. A lot of people on Mozillazine complain that Firefox4 uses a lot of memory, but I just don't see it. that's why I like this add-on, even though i have plenty of memory it's still nice to keep track.

No comments:

Post a Comment