Sunday, May 22, 2011

Failure Of Bargain Basement CFL's

This week I noticed that there was less light in my second bathroom. This meant a light had burned out. So as I removed the cover I saw that the bulb that had burned out was a CFL. Those are supposed to last 10 years. It lasted maybe a year. Well I bought it at the Dollar Tree & it was obviously a cheapie.

This brings up the question of the quality of electrical stuff bought there. Because I have a couple of CFL bulbs in big brass lamps in my living room that have been installed for years. These lamps are on 3-4 hours a night. On my days off if the weather is bad even longer. Bathroom lights-5-15 minutes a day?

Then I went on Wikipedia to read up on these things. And the article says that if you have a 5 minute on/off cycle the lifespan can be reduced to "close to that of incandescent light bulbs". I don't remember ever hearing that before. Was this kept from us in the desire to move us to these bulbs. The energy star program says leave them on if you leave a room for less than 15 minutes. Fine. But I don't go in the bathroom every 15 minutes unless there is a problem(no I won't disgust you by mentioning what that might be).

So I guess what this means is don't place them in a bathroom because they become expensive incandescents.  I don't have them in my bedroom because the lamp there needs a special bulb. Ooops. My mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment