Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Waking Computer From Sleep Creates Noisy Fan

This happened last night. First time in months. I had my desktop in sleep mode for probably an hour. When I woke it the fan went nuts. The only way I stopped it was by restarting the computer.

So today I went in Best Buy to the Geek Squad desk. The person there said I should open up the tower & blow air on it to clean out dust. Right. I, who know nothing about the inner workings should do that. It's OK for geeks to do that but I don't think I'm qualified. I just know I would wreck the unit.

Of course as the person there said I could bring the unit in & they could do it. Yes, they could open it up & blow air on the unit....For $99! Oh brother. Is this how they make money? The geek(yeah right) said I should do this once a year. Really? I had my previous computer for 2 years. It was an 8 year old used one I bought for $100. Never opened the unit, never blew air on it, worked fine.

I suspect what happens is there is so much on this unit, that all the processes cause this to happen. After all my previous computer had 768MB of RAM, this one has 4GB. The old one had a 40GB hard drive, this one is 640GB. XP takes up around 10 GB, Windows 7 is 40 GB.
Plus there's a bunch of HP crapware that loads. heck there's a dock I can't get rid of because it doesn't show up anywhere. Not in Add & Remove Programs, not on the Start menu. And some of the HP stuff that does show up, I'm not sure if I should remove it or not. Thanks guys.

So I just keep watch on this thing. I ran my antivirus scan today, I ran Malwarebytes the other day. Just to keep things clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment