Monday, May 2, 2011

Curious Requirement From My ISP

I was actually thinking of upgrading my internet speed.  I pay for 1.5mbps which is pathetic when you consider what people in Asia get. South Korea has 85mbps. that's just obscene speed. I don't need that, but better than 1.5 would be nice.

So I went on the website to double to 3mbps. Still bad, but hey, it's only another 5 bucks. But after going through most of the process, it became "sorry, we need a second phone number". Why? My main number isn't enough? I only have a prepaid cell phone I never use. Why list that. So you can call me on that? I don't think so. Work? Sorry no can do.

Want to know what I think? My ISP is also my landline phone company & they also sell wireless service. I think they want to sell me wireless with an overpriced 2 year contract. That is not gonna happen. This is why there need to be changes in the law. If you are the local landline company, you can't also sell wireless service. This company tries to bundle landline & wireless service & even satellite TV. That would be a monopoly except that the local cable company is even worse, & controls that market completely in this area.

So I am not sure what to do. I want more speed, but I don't like that requirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment