Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Movies On YouTube

Here's something I would never think about. YouTube is now renting movies. And new ones actually. I checked & in some cases they are a dollar less than iTunes. Most appear to be $3.99 while iTunes has the same movies for $4.99. This appears to be an attempt to compete with Netflix. However the problem with that is you don't rent individual movies on Netflix. You have a monthly subscription. Mine is $5.50 or so for 2 DVD's & 2 hours online. The next subscription is $9.99 a month which is 1 DVD at a time & unlimited streaming. There's also $7.99 a month for streaming only.

The problem with that is all Netflix streaming is old movies, not new stuff. Whereas iTunes & YouTube have current DVD's for streaming. But again the price isn't cheap. Plus YouTube also has free movies. These seem to be a lot of the same films that Netflix is streaming. Today I watched about an hour of Intolerance, the DW Griffith silent classic. Problem is the thing is 3 hours long & jumps around between 4 stories in different times. Brilliant but a hard slog.

My thought is how many people know YouTube has movies. I think most people think it's the home for funny cat videos(well it is), & don't bother to check out what else is there. So I wonder what Google has planned. I would think more publicity would be a good start. I wish more sports were available online. Not everything is on ESPN, which does stream most of what they broadcast. I wish auto racing was available & the Tour de France. but I suspect the entities that run those sports like the exclusiveness of these sports. And yeah, Versus does run Le Tour multiple times a day during July.

Eventually it looks like most movies are going to be streamed. That's why all these devices like Roku, Boxee, & using Playstation(well until last week) do it. I've also seen Blu Ray players that have Hulu & Netflix apps built in. Since I don't own any of these I don't know how that works, & I wonder about how you access it. Another cable hook up to your ISP?

No comments:

Post a Comment