Sunday, May 29, 2011

Belarc Advisor Shows Computer Details

I had this program on my previous computer but hadn't added it to my new system. I wasn't sure I needed it. But today I decided to install it anyway. It is a very good software program that lists everything on your system & how up to date your computer is.

It lists all software & hardware that you have. All Microsoft will do is tell you processor speed, size of the hard drive & amount of memory. Plus extra drives. Belarc on the other hand is much more detailed. Like the speed of the processor, the size of the various caches & how many cores. Also usage of USB, & how many memory modules you have. I have 4 modules, but am only using 2.  Thus I have 4 GB of RAM installed but could double that if I wanted to.

It lists all software on the computer & the last time you used the program. This is good to know as a way of finding out if you are up to date. It also lists all Microsoft hotfixes. I always allow those because it's a security issue.

Here's one problem. At the top of the page is the System Security Status which uses USGCB benchmarks which are mostly for professional organizations. I don't see how this relates to my personal system. It's a government mandated configuration developed by the Department of Defense! I think a lower benchmark would make more sense. I have a low rating because some password & user rights & security options aren't available on Windows 7 Home Edition. Oh well. Still it's nice to have this on the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment