Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Watching CBS video in Ubuntu

One of the reasons I will never use Ubuntu or any Linux fulltime are the continuing video issues. 20 years later & Linux still can't do something like video properly. Last night I attempted to watch an episode of The Late Show with David Letterman. Once again the same issue cropped up. When you go full screen, it works for a little bit. Then for what ever reason, it will go to the small screen, & then go black. You can still hear audio, but the picture has gone away, & the monitor starts to fade. I click it, & eventually the picture comes back

I don't know if it does this on other sites, because i haven't tried. I know that Letterman videos work fine on Windows. Whether it's XP or 7, they work. Flash seems to work, although I don't usually full screen something thats only a few minutes long. But again. Why is this even an issue? When does Linux get on the ball & have this stuff work all the time? This is one reason a free operating system has only 1% of the market. Yes, part of it is non support by the websites, but there are work arounds. And this isn't non-support by the website anyway, because if it was, you wouldn't be able to watch at all.

So again. If Linux wants to become mainstream, stuff has to work. I don't care about using different programs. I've used Open Office. I've used Evolution. I've used Rythymbox (BTW-it sucks). But a lot of Linux programs are garbage. A lot of the code is probably badly done. That needs to change. I shouldn't have to go back to Windows just to do one thing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment