Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Playing with the iwatch

Yeah, I said the iwatch. I saw this at the Apple store near my house. The 6th generation ipod nano is the size of a wristwatch. Why? Who knows. It's now almost as small as a shuffle, although it holds the same amount of music as before. The price has, of course, gone up. This, despite the fact that the new nano does less than mine, which is 2 generations old. No click wheel, no video, meaning no games. Can you use it as a hard drive? Not sure. How about a stop watch. Not sure.

I was playing with it, or rather trying to. I couldn't figure out how to use it. The one thing it has that I wish mine had was an actual on-off button. Until now you had to hold down the pause button, then lock the hold button. Stupid. The problem is, once I figured that out, I still couldn't figure out how you scroll through the menus. It seemed to be very limited it what you could do, as opposed to the previous ones which have a multitude of menus.

Here's my thought. Last year, before the unveiling of the 2010 line, rumors were that the classic would be dumped, & the nano would become the main line. Didn't happen. Now it seems clear that Jobs & company want the ipod Touch to be the standard. So why not make the nano less attractive. Eventually the line goes away, & you're left with the classic & the touch. More money anyway, unless you decide to lower the price on the touch, & I'm not sure they're going to do that.

Me, I like my refurbished nano. I don't have a lot a songs, & it's very easy to use. I don't need internet access, thats what my HP desktop is for. Plus it's size makes it easy to read. The new nano is just too small, especially for someone whose eyesight isn't what it once was. And it never was good to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment