Sunday, September 19, 2010

The secret scanner

Since this is a new computer, I like to make sure it is secure. That is why I run Firefox with No Script, Ad Block Plus & Cookie Monster. To make sure bad stuff doesn't get on my system. That's also why I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on my computer.

My computer also comes with, already built in Windows defender, a Microsoft program. But for some reason, this is a under-the-hood program that doesn't show up on my desktop, & supposedly runs a daily scan at 2AM. Just one problem with that. It is of course assuming that I never turn off my computer. That is incorrect. I know that a lot of people do that, but i don't like that idea.

I don't want programs running at night while I'm asleep, or while I'm out of the house. Maybe a truck drives by, or there's an earthquake that causes the machine to go completely on. That's electricity wasted. Plus, that makes it easier for someone to gain access to my system. Plus by shutting down, the RAM gets to reboot. Right now, I'm down 500 MB because I've had the machine on for 4 hours (I've been watching a college football game on ESPN's website). Once I shut down, the next time I turn it on, I'll be back up to 3GB.

So why does Microsoft do it this way. You used to have to manually start Defender, which I think is a better system. I just ran a quick scan. It was the first scan done in two months because of it's 2AM system. I don't have any issues, I just wonder why they do it this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment