Monday, September 13, 2010

Using my cell phone camera

A lot of people use their phones to take pictures now. Some of it is convenience. People today always have a cell phone with them. Nobody carries around a camera under normal circumstances. Even a small digital one takes up space, so people use the built in cameras on the cells.

Now generally we are talking about smart phones. But seemingly all phones have cameras now. That doesn't mean they're any good, just that they have them. I have a small Samsung Smooth. This is a prepaid phone. This means instead of having a monthly contract for, say $50-70/month, I instead buy a $30 card every three months to keep the phone active. The money rolls over if I add before the expiration date. Last time I got it up to almost $90. Right now it's at $80. I don't use it that much.

So I have tried to use the camera a few times. Once at the Chabot Space Museum in Oakland, & Saturday at the SF Zoo. The issue is getting close enough to the subject, since there is no zoom, & having good lighting to take a decent picture. Unfortunately, you don't know until you can view them in the Verizon online album if it is a good picture. The screen on the phone makes the picture look a million miles away, & thus, worthless. Some are actually good. I'm going to let you see what I mean, & you can decide.

Obviously having an actual camera would be better, & I do have an old Nikon SLR, but who wants to carry that monster around? And as few pictures as I take, I can't justify spending $100-200 on a new digital camera.
(JPEG Image, 640x480 pixels) - Scaled (42%)
(JPEG Image, 351x265 pixels) - Scaled (76%)

No comments:

Post a Comment