Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Technology in the media

When was the last time you watched a tv show or movie that didn't have someone using a cell phone or a computer? I can't remember. It's everywhere. Some of it is just exposition, some of it is just a way to get lines for an actor. Some of it is just strange.

I just watched Angels & Demons. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm behind. Anyway a movie about "the illuminati" for some reason opens at the great hadron collider. Really Mr Brown? Steal anti-matter to blow up the Vatican? This should be in Star Trek. Last night I watched the new version of Hawaii 5-0. (Was this necessary?) Cell phones & explosions. Not a part of the original. Well at least Boardwalk Empire can't do that since the 20's wasn't exactly full of that stuff.

Then there's sports. My team, the San Jose Sharks, several years ago started having it's assistant coach carry a laptop on the bench. This way he could look at plays after the fact, to see what happened, & I suppose to draw up new plays. Ah, Silicon Valley.

Movies have been using computer animation for years. The reason Lord of the Rings wasn't filmed until 2000 was because there was no way to film it & not have it look ridiculous. CGI changed that. The problem is there is too much of it. It's laziness, & that's why there aren't many serious films anymore. Even films we don't think of as special effects films actually are.

The newspaper & book industries are changing, & I don't think for the better. I like having a newspaper in my hand. I'm not going to spend $500-$800 for an ipad, so I can read the paper through an app. Books are e-books now. One problem. If something happens to the device, I lose the book. If it's an actual book, it will always exist, maybe fade, but it will be there. Young people don't understand this. Makes me an "old fogey". Not really. Obviously I have a computer, & obviously I'm blogging. I just like having physical copies of stuff.

I wonder what will happen in the future. Books & magazines can't get viruses. Watching tv on my computer? Yeah I do it a little. Dave Letterman & Craig Ferguson because they come on so late. College football because I work on Saturdays. But that's it. Wikipedia because there's a lot of good articles on there, & podcasts because commercial radio is the pits. Wonder what will be next?

No comments:

Post a Comment