Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Will People Really Leave Netflix?

While everyone is convinced that Netflix will lose customers over the new pricing or people will simply stream. I don't believe that. For one thing their streaming selection is very limited, thanks to Hollywood not liking it. Most movies available are at least 20 years old. Yeah, I can watch Animal House or Lawrence of Arabia, but not The King's Speech or any Harry Potter movie.

Second, the servers sometimes have issues. Last week the site went down for an entire day. I couldn't log on (It wouldn't recognize my password), & others had the site crash while watching a movie. Now a DVD may freeze up (I've had that happen), but eventually I can watch it. If the site goes down while I'm watching a movie guess what? Well, you watched it & can't again.

This has nothing to do with how you're streaming. I do it directly on the computer. No Roku box, no Playstation or Wii. No way to connect a long cable from my modem in one room to my TV in another. Others can because of their setups. Again this isn't the issue. Minimal content & server capacity are.

So I'm going to stick to DVD's. I just don't believe this prediction that DVD's will go away. People will always need them. Not everyone is going to have access to special boxes or special TV's.

No comments:

Post a Comment