Sunday, July 17, 2011

Need Invitation To Join Spotify And Google +

I don't know when this started but whenever a new heavily promoted service is launched it is decided to make it invitation only. When Google started Gmail, that's what they did, which is why it still is behind Yahoo Mail in users despite being a superior program.

Now two different heavily promoted programs are available, but only by invitation. Google+ & the formerly European only music service Spotify.

The fact is because of all the publicity, I would like to try these out to see if they are worth it. But since I don't use similar services I won't be getting an invite anytime soon. So I will have to wait until they go public, but who knows when that will be? I depends on how successful they are. I would be willing to try out the free version of Spotify, but I'm not going to pay $10 a month just to check it out.

Same with Google+. It's just another version of Facebook & I eventually deleted my Facebook account because of the massive security issues revolving around profiles. My personal information is my business, not Mark Zuckerberg's or some sleazy marketer. I think we all learned that from the British phone-hacking scandal.

Besides, I think the invitation only nonsense is just a way of getting extra publicity. Or in the case of Spotify artificially creating a limit on free users causing people who are in a hurry to try out the service to order the $5 or more likely the $10 a month version, rather than wait to see when the free version goes public. I would be interested to see the user base in a year to see how this worked out. Not to mention the fact that there are many competitors here like Rhapsody & Pandora.

No comments:

Post a Comment