Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Confusing DVD Player

Last night I attempted to watch a DVD on the computer. I had never done this before. Maybe I could have used the TV, but I had it set up for recording something & didn't want to mess it up. I know, but I'm not a geek.

So I put the DVD in & a screen opened up asking which program to use. I have at least 3 different software programs on there. Real Player, Windows Media Player & a program that HP installed called HP Media Smart, which is a player like Real or iTunes.

So I clicked Real Player. I use this to watch Al Jazeera in Firefox so I figured this would be the best way. Well, it wouldn't work. I kept getting a popup to buy a pro version (why would I need that?) for $40. Uh, no thanks. Tried several times. Wouldn't do anything. Finally I manually opened the HP program that they installed before I bought the computer. Well, Real opened up again, not working, but I could hear sound behind it, so I closed Real & voila! There was the movie. Hmmm.

So my question is: can I only use Real for DVD's if I pay 40 bucks extra. That doesn't seem right. And I wonder why there was no option of adding the movie to iTunes since it has video. Maybe only plays iTunes downloads. I'll have to check that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment