Monday, July 4, 2011

The Mystery of the Unknown Cell Phone Caller

I own a prepaid cell phone. I hardly ever use it. It's for emergency purposes only. I use it about once a week just to see if my paycheck has been directly deposited & how much.

Saturday night I was watching the Klitschko-Haye fight & heard it ring. I didn't answer it as no one has my number. Even my relatives only have my landline number. So I ignored it. Afterwards I looked up the call. It was an 805 number. Where is that? SoCal.

Gotta love the internet. Found two different websites where you can post a phone number & it will come back with the registered owner. Both sites I used came back with the same name & address. Some couple in Simi Valley. I don't know anyone in Simi Valley & I've never been there. It's north of LA. Haven't been in Southern California in I don't know how many years. Clearly this is a scam. I'm guessing when you answer you get charged some high fee just for answering the phone. Really nice.

I'm thinking of going on Verizon's website on their forums & warning people of this stunt. Not like it isn't known that this stuff exists, but the message still needs to get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment