Monday, November 21, 2011

NY Times Article On Headphones

Today there is an article that is mostly about the expensive "Beats by Dr Dre" headphones. these are really expensive buds that cost up to $300! Are you serious?

I've seen these in stores & on Apple's website. I ask myself "$300 WTF". I can't see spending $100 let alone $300. Plus according to the article, they are not very good. They emphasize the bass, but distort the overall sound. Why am I not surprised?

Today's young music fan isn't really interested in good music, just a loud beat. that's why most modern music is bad or unlistenable. Rap/Hip Hop? That isn't really music. The current state of rock. Awful. The only bands I can stomach are U2 & Arcade Fire. Coldplay is NOT a rock band. They are a pop outfit. And most alternative is mostly yelling.

Now we have 50 Cent & Ludicris also promoting their own brand of overpriced headphones. Again I assume with lots of bass. Meanwhile Koss & Sennheiser continue to manufacture old schooltype phones with good frequency response & the impedence. I want some bass (Apple phones are weak probably because they are free with your iPod), but I don't want distortion like the fools who blast their car stereos so loud you only hear booming, no actual music.

But this is the future. Some of us are not buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment