Monday, November 28, 2011

iPad Vs PC & Overteched TV's

Sunday I was at my cousin's house for a belated Thanksgiving (I worked on Thursday). He showed me his iPad. This was my first experience using one for an extended period of time. I tried one at the Apple Store near my house when the original first came out, but that was five minutes.

Yes, I'm a little late giving a review so I won't try. It's an interesting device to use. No sense in denying that. But I still prefer using my desktop. Trying to figure out how to use the virtual keyboard isn't that much fun. Plus it has these little icons that I could never figure out what they were for. I would click one & then it would be "well, what do you do?".

One of the issues I came across is it's issue with not closing applications. I thought I closed something & then would find out that there were like 4 separate programs open. How did that happen, & how come I don't remember opening that program to begin with? This is something that doesn't happen on my PC. Plus any program opened I would see on the status bar.

Now maybe if this was my personal one, it would be different since I would be using it regularly. After all, I have no problems with my PC or my iPod.

The other piece of tech I saw in action (I didn't use it myself) was their flat screen. It's hooked up to the internet & has stuff like Pandora & Netflix on it. All set up through the Blu-Ray player.

Now I have satellite TV (Directv). But this was way to confusing for me. Because of the set up being through the Blu-ray player, you had to first choose what you wanted to do. The TV didn't automatically come on. Even my cousin's wife had an issue with that. There is such a thing as making things too complicated.

Pandora also had issues. It worked for a while then just decided to shut off. No one knew why. I speculated that maybe the site went down. You know, server issues. I also wondered if the cable had gone out. Who knows. Netflix also seemed a problem. Especially finding stuff by using the remote control to find stuff rather than a keyboard like I do on my PC.

Then again, Netflix has so little to stream, that I don't see the point. Now I would like to get a flat screen at some point, but I don't want a confusing mish mash of things to do like my cousin has. I wonder how many people with these TV's have these issues. i just want to sit down, click the remote & start watching. Is that really asking too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment