Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Why people ditch phone service

When I opened my phone bill I was surprised to see it had gone up $5. Why? I hadn't made any calls, or at least didn't remember. So I got out last month's bill & checked it. Thanks AT&T. They raised the flat rate charge $4 without informing me. How nice.

This is, of course, for the land line. Young people, or at least a lot of them, don't have landlines, only cell phones. But those can be very expensive ($70-$100 for smartphones, because of the data charges). What I hate are all the ticky tack taxes. What exactly is wire pro & why did it go up 50 cents? Why do I get charged $8 for long distance when I never make a long distance call?

My bill is now $74, but that includes $28 for 1.5mbps internet. Of course in some countries you may pay that & get 50mbps. But we invented computers so let's make sure our speeds are pathetic. Oh brother.

But we like to spend money, even in this economy. This morning I went to Trader Joe's, which is across the street from a brand new, humungous Whole Foods. Or as it is called, Whole Paycheck. Went in there once, right after it opened, saw the prices & said to myself "holy @##$%!" But Trader Joe's was almost empty, something I had never seen before. You mean you would rather pay triple at Whole Foods what you could get across the street for much less. Must be a lot of rich people in that neighborhood. Or just think they are. Or can only shop at the new place.

No comments:

Post a Comment