Monday, January 17, 2011

Using You Tube to find music

You can listen to commercial radio, satellite radio or internet radio. Or even things like Pandora. One thing you can't do is decide what song or artist to play next, unless you're playing your own stuff. That's what i use you tube for.

If I know someone I like has a new album out, I can put on a station that plays that format & wait for them to play a song, but how long will that take, & will they only play one song? The solution is to go on You Tube, type in the artists name & search through the videos looking for ones from the new album.

I just did this. I found out that Arcade fire had a new album out. Their last CD I have on my iPod. I had never heard of them before, but was reading an article on Wikipedia about alternative rock, & had seen their CD at my public library, so I borrowed it & really liked it.
Now I find out they are becoming more successful & have a new CD. But there isn't any place around here selling CD's. It's all about downloads now. Target, Walmart & Best Buy have all butchered their music sections.

So I go on You Tube, find the new stuff, listen to it, & it's damn good! It sounds like their previous CD but different. Hopefully these guys will become big sellers, but I doubt that, because even U2 couldn't sell more than 3 M copies of their last CD. It seems to be all about singles now. My suggestion: Go on You Tube, listen to a bunch of songs, if you like them, then buy the Cd. Doesn't matter what group or singer. If you only like one or two songs, then feel free to download that song. If you like every song you hear, find a store that actually sells CD's & buy it. Here that means driving 10 miles to campbell to one of two new/used CD stores (the only shops with a CD section more than one rack).

No comments:

Post a Comment