Tuesday, January 4, 2011

No Script's whitelist

I decided to look today at my whitelist. I have No Script because it's a good safety measure to have on your computer. Anything that prevents an outsider from gaining access to my machine is a good thing to have. It prevents people from using javascript to read your site unseen, prevents  cross scripting attacks & clickjacking.

The problem, of course, is the ability to use sites that use javascript & flash. I find myself having to allow sites just to use the site, even if it's a site I may never use again. So I went in options & found probably a hundred sites on the whitelist.

One of the problems is that these sites put javascript on multiple pages. I would have 2 or maybe 3 listings that appeared to be the same site. Maybe a dot org & a dot com. Maybe the same address but with small differences in the address, like an additional word or letter. For instance I have in my whitelist 7, count them, 7 different listings for Google! Google.com, Googleapis (huh?), Googlecode, Googlesyndication. Get it? This is what I'm talking about. And they're not the only ones. So you need these to read content, & of course, to watch video.

You could get rid of No Script. But the point of having it to keep a watch on my system. I'm sure it slows down my computer, but most sites insist on using this format It's also why I use AdBlock Plus. And that can be a bigger pain, because some sites won't even allow you to watch video without the ads loading first. CBS sometimes lets you, but I've also at times had to allow ads to watch. And interestingly, they will have 3 ads at once & only show 1 ad, & simply count down the seconds on the others before going back to the program. ESPN3 doesn't even show the ads, just a page reading "Your event will return shortly", which is actually kind of weird because it lasts the length of the ad.

So protecting your computer can be a hassle. Sometimes I use my 4GB USB stick that has Ubuntu on it if all I want to do is surf, because video sucks on Linux. Full screen hardly works at all. So you're damned if you do, & damned if you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment