Sunday, January 30, 2011

Depeche Mode's anti iPod album

I'm a long time fan of this great techno pop group from the 80's, & recently put the 3 CD's that I own on my iPod. I was thinking of borrowing another Cd from the public library & doing the same. Imagine my disgust when reading on Wikipedia that the 2004 Cd "Playing the Angel" was released as a "controlled copy" disc.

This was a rather infamous attempt by EMI & Sony to prevent owners of these CD's from copying them. Supposedly to prevent illegal file sharing, but what it really does is prevent you from doing anything with the disc, including putting on an iPod. I once borrowed a Jimi Hendrix compilation from the library, & when I put it in the computer's Cd drive it made a lot of rattling sounds & would not play. I was afraid it was going to damage the drive. Thanks a lot jerks.

I am amazed that this nonsense was allowed. There was an issue where these type of discs wouldn't play in a car stereo. Nice. The backlash this stunt created is the reason it isn't used anymore. And remember that iTunes doesn't sell DRM downloads anymore. Again the backlash from the public overshadowed any worth the scheme had.

I don't steal music, although the RIAA believes borrowing CD's from the library is theft. I guarantee you 100% of all people who borrow CD's load them onto iPods. Just like in the past they would copy them to tape. Piracy is not why sales are down, inflated download prices are. I just spent $10 to buy 7 songs from iTunes. That's obscene.

No comments:

Post a Comment