Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Avira Forcing Users To Install Ask Toolbar

Avira is my antivirus. I have used the free version for years. All of a sudden this morning, when I ran my weekly scan it did a major update (a service pack) & wanted me to install something they call the Avira Webguard Toolbar. Try again. It's the Ask Toolbar. Sorry, but my default search engine is Google & it's going to remain Google.

This is a sleazy attempt to put something on my system I don't want. There is no op-out. There are only two choices: install now or later. That is not acceptable. Apple tries to install Safari when offering iTunes updates, but even they allow you to uncheck it. Avira doesn't.

So the question now becomes: do I continue to use Avira because it is a good AV, or do I look for another product because this doesn't seem like proper behavior, especially since they used to mark Ask as adware but now have removed it from their list. Is money that much of an issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment