Monday, June 20, 2011

Music Trivia On The Web

Some of the stuff you can find on the internet is outrageous. I've been making a collection of sixties music for my iPod. I grew up in that era, but never bought a lot of music. basically a few singles & , of course, Beatle albums. Well actually i got Sgt Pepper as a birthday present & the following year The White Album as a Christmas present, but you get the point.

So now I'm catching up. Mainly using YouTube to hear songs I haven't heard in decades to see if I actually want to spend money on them. And yes I am. Modern stuff-not so much. But anyway it's cool to not only hear these songs again, but to go on Wikipedia & find out that some really famous musician played on a song you wouldn't expect.

How about this: Donovan. Remember him? He was a folk/rock singer of the late sixties. you wouldn't consider him "out there", but he did some really good songs. But now I find out he had some superstars playing background on his songs.

For instance: Barabajagal (a lesser known single) has as it's background musicians the entire Jeff Beck Group. Are you kidding me? And Epistle to Dippy (another uptempo folk rocker) has as it's lead guitarist-get this: Jimmy freakin' Page! Seriously. The king of Zep on a Donovan song?

How about the Yardbirds who went through 3 lead guitarists in 4 years before they broke up. Eric Clapton & the afore mentioned Beck & Page. Nice. Not to mention that at the end The "New Yardbirds" was all four members of the future Zeppelin.

How about Jimi Hendrix being a member of Little Richard's in 64-65? And the well known fact that he was opening act for the Monkees.

No comments:

Post a Comment