Monday, February 28, 2011

Why I Don't Mind Watching TV On My PC

The reason is, of course, fewer commercials. Like, last night I watched the Oscars, so i couldn't watch Amazing Race because it was on at the same time. It starts at 8PM & the Oscars ended at 8:45, which must be a record. I don't remember the last time it only lasted a little over 3 hrs!

Anyway, I had to wait until this afternoon to see the 2nd episode of TAR. On CBS's website. Only a few commercials, most lasting 30 seconds. Episode was over in 45 minutes. This is good & bad. good, because it takes less time to see it, bad because it means the networks are butchering their shows. Used to be 5 minutes of ads in a 30 minute show, 10  in a 60. Now it's 10 minutes for a half hour show, 15 for an hour. Now you know why the plots are weak, & the shows seem rushed in the 2nd half.

Maybe this also kinda explains all the dramas with continuing storylines, & why they are more successful. Used to be you couldn't do that kind of show, because it was hard to follow in case you missed an episode. HBO has always done serials, but now the networks do too.

The only issue I see is releasing episodes. CBS puts them up the next day. Hulu which has NBC, Fox & ABC content waits. Some shows 8 days (Modern Family, 30 Rock), others overnight(Jon Stewart). No I don't have a DVR so that doesn't help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment