Sunday, February 6, 2011

Fixing computer speed

I don't know why this happened, but I noticed that my internet speed was horribly slow today. Trying to surf was painful. Now it was Sunday, but I use it every Sunday & it was never this slow. Finally I got fed up tonight & decided to do some tests.

There are websites that test your download speed. The one I tried was Speedtest. I think I've used it before. I must have run the test 5 or 6 times. Every time I did my download speed was 31-32kbps! What? I'm paying for 1.5mbps. After several of these tests, I tried something.

I unplugged my modem for 2 minutes, then plugged it back in, restarted my computer & immediately went on Speedtest. This time it was 1.2mbps. Still not what I'm paying for but a lot better. What happened? I have no idea, but I'm glad I was able to fix the problem. It was fine last night so something must of happened overnight. My computer is only 7 months old, & has no viruses or malware ( just used Malwarebytes). So if you ever have a similar problem I would suggest doing what i just did. Then if that doesn't help, contact your ISP.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment